Tuesday, June 20, 2006

My, How Things Change…

I use to say that I wanted to be a stay at home mom with no kids. Yes, you read that right. I have never been into babysitting or children in general. I like children, don’t get me wrong. I’m just really not into playing games, etc. It all goes back to high school when I baby-sat for this family for a summer. They had three children, let’s just say, that were different. And that’s a nice way to put it. This will give you some idea of what I mean. They had a pool pass to our neighborhood pool for the whole summer. I got them out of the house 1 time to go to the pool. However, we did not make it to the pool that day or the rest of the summer. They didn’t want to walk so I called my friend to pick us up and drive us about a mile down the road to the pool. The youngest boy who was about 6 or 7 ran away from me screaming that he didn’t want to get in the car with strangers. As I am chasing him, I am yelling to him that if he didn’t want to walk this was our only option. Furthermore, she wasn’t a stranger she was my friend!
Trying to rationalize with him and praying that he would corporate, so I wouldn’t have to watch cartoons with them for the rest of the day. I chased him for a good 10 minutes trying to catch him. How a 6 year old ran faster than me? I’ll never know. I was spitting nails by the time I reached him.
Side note- I saw this boy about 3 years ago when he was about 18 and I still wanted to wail on his behind. That gives you some idea how bad it was. So with that insight, you can see why I really have never been into babysitting.
Flash-forward… I am baby-sitting today, haha. I am helping out a friend for a few days. But I have to tell you, it’s going well. I got all 3 children down for naps at the same time. So far, so good…I haven’t had to chase anyone around the neighborhood. Needless to say, Fourteen years later, I am very grateful that I am a stay at home mom WITH kids! And I will even baby-sit every now and again:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember that summer! so funny! my how you have changed meredith! ;)

Anonymous said...

Good experience...it gives you something to compare your life to now :) Mom
P.S. Why am I always so predictable in what I say?

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»