Thursday, June 08, 2006

Expectations

I often remember the look my mom would give me when I needed to straighten up in public. So, here I am years later, giving my son that same look. I took both the boys for their monthly/yearly check-up at the doctor’s office. Brave, I know. Pete met me there so I would have “back-up”. I thought, having the doctor check him out would mesmerize Marschall. He’s all about playing pretend doctor at home. However, the child lost his mind there in that tiny office. Marschall was jumping up and down and ripping the white paper off the table and laughing hysterically. I wanted to wail on his behind but I refrained for the moment. I didn’t want the doctor to think badly of me or have social services come to our house. So he got the look from you know where and a very firm talking to. Meanwhile, the doctor went on to ask him several questions about what he eats and who his friends are. Basically, he tells her he loves hotdogs and juice. (I’m thinking great, “Way to go! Let the doctor know what good balanced meals you eat”). Why couldn’t he share that he’s really starting to like broccoli or that he tried zucchini for the first time and didn’t spit it out? But no, my child says he eats hotdogs and drinks juice. It kept going downhill…Marschall goes on talking for a little bit and the doctor ends up looking at me for a translation. I take pride in usually knowing a lot of what Marschall says or is trying to say and at that moment all I could do is shrug my shoulders.
It’s funny the expectations you have in your head as a parent. You just want your child to live up to them for whatever reason. No, you know what? It isn’t for whatever reason, it’s I wanted to be justified in showing that my child listens to me and acts appropriately, especially in public.
Should I lower my expectations? Nah, I just can’t be disappointed when he decides to show his fun personality! Yeah, that’s what I’ll call it, personality!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Show me that look sometime...didn't know you noticed. :)
mom

Anonymous said...

any if anyone i know has personality it IS marschall :)

Anonymous said...

Why couldn't Marschall said he liked Ma Ma's scrambled eggs and yogurt ?