Friday, March 17, 2006

Noisemakers

I kind of made a vow before we had children that we would not buy any loud and obnoxious toys. There is really no need for them. Then there is reality… Marschall was about a year old or so and he loved/loves the Wiggles. Target had this cute Wiggles guitar that I thought he would have so much fun with. Forgetting my vow, he now owns that little guitar. (Flash forward 2 years later) I now have visions of throwing that guitar out on the concrete driveway and letting it smash into a million little pieces. It seems I am holding on to all the patience I have left and he finds that guitar and pushes all the buttons at once.
It's kind of funny not learning from the guitar mistake, I buy him a toy keyboard. It was only $3.00, why not? I am standing in the shower this morning and hear the keyboard (that I had hid under our bed) coming from our bedroom. He had set it on the demo button, playing it over and over again. Whew, I get exasperated just writing this. You know, come to think of it we bought him this toy electric drill that is louder than the real thing. It's now on top of our entertainment center out of view. Who creates this stuff? I just keep hiding these noisemakers and he seems to find them at just the right time. I can’t bring myself to discard of them on Friday morning trash pick-up day and I would never want to give them away and be resposible for creating havoc in someone's household. However, I am documenting this, no more noisemakers. If per chance I get the inclination to expose him to more musical instruments, I must sign him up for lessons at someone else’s house!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i mean meredith you gotta be ready for the loud gyms that Marsch and Garrett will be playing in! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know about that vow...I think I said the same thing! But then, the inevitable happens, you buy a "cute" toy that they love, or someone gives a gift, and it's like, "Where did that horrible sound come from?" I mean, how do they make the sounds sooooo annoying? It can't just be a little noise that lingers in the background, it has to be full blast, destroying any chance of peace in your mind! I try not to get them anymore, but I'm sure I'll go back on my word. =)