Tuesday, April 25, 2006

SLEEPLESS NIGHTS

For about a week now Garrett has been getting up for about 2 hours in the middle of the night, crying/screaming. It was never this bad even when he was an infant. He’s been to the doctor twice in a week. I was pleading with the doctor to find something wrong, and in essence, give him something to make him better. Needless to say, he’s fine. I truly am grateful for that. However, I must be destined to have children that don’t sleep through the night. You know, it’s usually the first thing people ask you after you have a baby, “How are they sleeping”? After about the fourth month after Marschall was born, I began dreading that question from people. Still do, second child still doesn’t sleep through the night. I hear about friends who say after 6-10 weeks, their baby sleeps through the night. To make myself feel better (I say in my head) I think they are lying. I have done everything I feel I can do. Everyone says let them cry it out. I think the ones that say that have never heard a child scream for longer than an hour. It is pure torture, especially in the middle of the night. Pete and I always say before we go to bed, lets try and let him cry it out. Sure enough, 1:00am rolls around and I am trying to do anything I can to get Garrett to stop. Each monthly birthday that he has, I keep hoping that the sleeping will be better. Not too long ago, Pete and I were noticing that Marschall has stopped getting up in the middle of the night and he’s three. Oh gosh, that doesn’t seem to bring me much comfort. Oh well, this too shall pass, I suppose. On a positive note, I have been able to catch some of the late night shows that I use to watch in college. Cable run repeats of Leno and Conan from the 2:00-4:00 am hours. I am like my own TV guide channel, I can tell you what shows come on what time all through out the night.
Thankfully, I don't blog in the middle of the night or I would probably have to change my blog title to, "Take this job and shove it". HA,HA

2 comments:

Melissa said...

girl, hang in there. i know how those cries go...we did the same thing. let me tell you, river still wakes up, somewhat regularly, in the middle of the night. i have the same thoughts, "wasn't this supposed to end about a year ago?" i like your aka blog title! =)

kristen said...

Hang in there... every night is one night closer to the night in which he sleeps for ten hours!

I know you are not soliciting advice, but homeopathic things have helped mine: specifically chamomille tea and hylands teething tablets.