Monday, May 01, 2006

Marriage thoughts

Pete and I were able to go to a marriage conference at our church on Saturday. We try to go to something of this sort every year or so. It’s been a while since the kids have come into the picture. It was just during the day on Saturday. I always like going to this sort of thing and I would go as far to say as most wives do. You feel like your husband is going to “get a good talking to” so to speak. A good reminder of what wives need. I always find it nice that Pete tries out some of the advice that they give to the husbands after it is over.
There were several things I took from it that really hit home. It’s funny, this time I don’t remember too much of what the husbands were called to do. I feel like I got “called out” as a wife and it’s a good thing…. I think all too often I can get caught into the mindset that the husbands are where it’s lacking and it’s “their fault” that we (the wife) aren’t content/happy…

Here is a different definition of love that really made me think. The speaker related it to the love Jesus has for His children as well as a husband and wife.
“The complete (100%), never-ending (forever) desire of what is best for another without the regard to cost.” Can you imagine if every spouse really lived that out in his or her marriage? There would be no dead marriage much less one that doesn’t survive.

Do you know what men really want? I hadn't heard some of these insights the speaker shared. (Pete agreed too)
·Men want respect in public
·Affirmation (they are afraid of being exposed that they are not in enough just in life and for their mate)
·Home is the most important place to feel affirmed; sex is a part of that~
·Wanted sexually by their spouse (usually you think they just want you, but husbands want to be “wanted” by their wives.)
·Want romance, we wives need to find the good when our husbands try to be romantic and encourage them in the way they express it.
·A wife that takes care of herself (This sounds a little chauvinistic, however, I like when Pete tries to dress nice, exercise and look good for me.) He’s fun to show off, because he’s mine and I’m his! I want him to be proud of me too.

That’s all, nothing crazy, but it’s nice to grab a tid-bit here and a tid-bit there. These kinds of times really spur on good conversation for us. Marriages go through dry times and fruitful times. Some of the drier times last longer than I wish. However, when there are fruitful times, I appreciate them all the more. After reading back over this and having a really fruitful (yet hopefully not multiplying, ha ha) good weekend, it makes me want to wear my “I love Pete” t-shirt and show the world. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The younger the discovery, the longer the Lord can use your testimony to His glory and your good> yd

mattkimuber said...

Thanks for sharing your insights on the marriage weekend. Don't you love it when the Lord opens our eyes.