Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Grandmother's perspective

I had sent my Grandma Marschall an email that included The Good Wife’s Guide , 1955 Good Housekeeping article. I take her out once a week to go to lunch and run errands. This past Friday, I asked her if that article really articulated expectations of wives during the time she was raising her three children. She said, "absolutely yes". She also felt like that is how her mother's generation was expected to act also.
She goes on to say, "Some other advice we would hear back in the day was for wives to wrap themselves naked in cellophane (saran wrap) and greet their husbands at the door when they came home from work, to add a little spice". I really wasn't shocked she said this, because my grandma is hysterical, even when she isn't trying to be. What got me laughing, I had said I would get my grandmother's perspective. I did not ask her if she actually did the cellophane thing.... I'm not sure what magazine she was reading to get that advice!
I am now imagining a little bullet point in the mix of The Good Wife’s Guide , maybe right after their advice to...
  • "Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it."
  • "Wrap yourself naked in cellophane and greet your husband at the door "
Now... I think The Good Wife's article is complete!

Thanks for the laugh grandma!

1 comment:

Our life.... said...

Ohh me....Grandma Marschall will always tell you like it is!