Monday, December 10, 2007

You can't lose your salvation but.....

If you could, I would lose mine in Wal-mart. First off, I am very thankful to have money to go grocery shopping, so please don't get me wrong.
However, I do not like being a slave to the big box grocery store. I cannot not go. (is that southern or just bad grammar?)I save money, they have everything I need in one store and it is less than 1 mile from my house.

Today, I was dreading going shopping like the plague. I worked this am, rushed to get our oil changed, Garrett needed a nap, so I had to get to the store before we went home. I have been watering down the apple juice not because of the sugar, but because I was running out, if this gives you any idea how desolate our fridge was becoming.

The kids were doing great. Toward the middle of our shopping trip, Marschall tells me he needs to go to the bathroom, he ALWAYS has to go to the bathroom in Wal-mart. I have no idea what brings it on, but his bowels were in full force (too much info?).
I decide to park my cart in one of the aisles and be right back. I could get to the bathroom faster if I just scooped up Garrett and ran with Marsch. We finally return to our cart about 10 minutes later......no cart..... no groceries....nothing. I feel my blood pressure start to boil. If you know Wal-mart, it can take 30 minutes to go through the check out line. These cashiers are not known for their speed. I'm wondering how did someone realize there was an empty cart sitting alone for a few minutes. I nicely ask a lady stocking the shelves, "have you seen a cart with groceries"? She said, "Yes, a lady just took it, there she is right now!" She begins to ask the other employee where my cart is. I'm actually relieved just thinking my cart is around the corner. But no, she had put 85% of my food back! I'm thinking, I would have really liked to seen how fast this women was because she needed to take the place of my cashier who took 20 minutes to check me out. I think some little Wal-mart ferries came and all went to work to put my food back!
I had strayed from my list as usual and couldn't exactly remember what I still needed. So who knows what my recipes will consist of this week.
Again, thankful for groceries not so much for the big box grocery stores. I may have to take a break and shop somewhere else for a while to get some perspective. Oh by the way, Marschall informed me the next time we are shopping we shouldn't leave our cart, we need to take to take it with us wherever we go. Ahhh good times.......

3 comments:

Monique said...

Meredith, I can't top your frustration from losing your groceries, but I can give your misery some company -- Walmart is not close by up in Woburn, Mass, so I shop at Market Basket, the grocery store that locals fondly refer to as "Ghetto Basket." For the last six months the snack foods aisle was missing, in its place were tarps and heavy machinery, as they did heavy construction in the store, as we shopped around it!!

Our life.... said...

I have that problem too in Targets and Wal-Marts - immediately have to go to the bathroom. I deducted it was so kind of smell in the air in those stores or something that got my bowels moving ;)

Running With Hope said...

I'm with you, Meredith. Frustrating experiences, always start with, "Mommy, I've got to go..." I just started wheeling the cart into the restroom. Probably not legal, but oh well....DEAL :)