Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"The next time you scream, I am pulling over and you are getting a spanking"...

Darn't, Yes, I am driving down Highway 220 and those words come out of my mouth. Do you ever think, Why the heck did I say that? Now I am going to have to follow through and slow down, pull the car over and give the spanking I promised. Because, I think, to a child, a promise is a promise. He is expecting me to give what I promised. You say, a spanking, they don't want that. But here is the deal... I gave Marschall 3 warnings and then he kept testing me, just screaming in a soft voice not quite as loud as his orginal tantrum. I really tried ignoring it but you know what? He screamed loudly again and I pulled the car over and spanked him. He was a perfect angel after that,(at least for the next 30 minutes). He was like "Finally, mommy you did what you said you were going to do and now I can quit screaming". I can see this being the time in children's lives where they want the boundaries and they are expecting us to follow through on them. I think they find security in this. I know this is not any new revelation but it's amazing to see it played out in my own child's life.

1 comment:

Marshall said...

It's a revelation to me - that is a great insight!