Monday, February 13, 2006

The Ugly Truth

I often compare myself to other moms. I have an image in my head of what the ideal mother and wife should look like. I was giving this some thought, what I came up with is this. When I think of all the moms I know, I often think of a mixture of all my friends that are moms and have this super woman image in my mind. With that said, often I feel I come up short and with my priorities out of whack.
I love my boys and I love being around them. I love nurturing them, caring for their needs and hurts. However, I struggle with just sitting and “playing” with Marschall, and sometimes think “Garrett, please just play on the floor for a little while longer until I can finish …” I get frustrated with myself because I think my first wants should be just sitting and enjoying my children. 8 out of 10 times it’s not the case.
I dread the thought of having to scrapbook, even if it is centered on beautiful pictures of my babies. I’m just not a crafty person. I think the hardest thing about being a mom is feeding my children before myself. People that know me know how much I love my meals! I even think hum… when is the next time Pete and I can just go out by ourselves? One would think, well maybe you should work more and then you would appreciate your children. I don’t think that is the answer. Because when I worked, I compared myself to co-workers, other girls, wives etc. I complained about my job and my boss. I wished had a different job or worked in a different department.
The comparisons never stop, life is life, and jealousy invades or worse yet, I think pride invades. I try and make myself feel better and think well at least I do this or that better than “she” does. Awful isn’t it!
I do think I have been given strengths I can excel in and obvious weaknesses I should work on. My fear is that frustrations will overtake the joy in just being with my children. I really have to make an effort to stop what I am doing and sit and throw the ball with Marschall. Sounds easy, but for me it’s not. I do see how fulfilling it can be when I do stop and see the appreciation on his face.
I am trying to look at it as this, frustrations are everywhere, I will screw up – make wrong decisions. It’s hard to sacrifice. I never knew what true sacrifice was until I had kids. Before kids, I shopped when I wanted, napped when I wanted. I did what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. I still feel that tug. I am just glad I’m aware and that the desire is there in just “being” with my children and further more have the opportunity day after day to try and just stop. With that said though, I think times are all the more sweet when Marschall and I have special moments of just playing. He and Pete play all the time and that’s good. But I desire for my boys to remember that their mom played too and better yet had fun doing it!

7 comments:

emily freeman said...

What a beautiful job you did at articulating the "tug" that ALL moms feel. I know it take a lot of effort for me to pull myself away from what I am doing and just sit and enjoy my girls. It seems so "wrong" that I have to focus so hard to enjoy the ones I love the most...but I guess it is the same way with my husband and the Lord. Thanks for your honest evaluation of that old familiar comparison game.

Meredith Uber said...

Well, of all my friends you and my best friend from college,Ashley, have twin girls that are two and she has another little baby and you have one on the way; I can only imagine how busy you all are and how many directions you feeled pulled! I'm in amazement of you all and how you must juggle everything all at once~

Anonymous said...

As the bible says..."and it came to pass" this season of your life will be over before you know it. Look how fast the time from high school has gone.
yd

Marshall said...

Meredith, thanks for the honesty of your posts and your willingness to admit that you are not "super mom" (and you had us all fooled!). I am sensing in you that you are realizing a struggle that all Christians have - you are seeing how often you depend on yourself (or are tempted to) rather than depending on God in your efforts to "measure up" or to get your love needs filled (previous post). I am on that journey, too, and have found great life and hope in learning more about how Christ wants to be my complete sufficiency in all aspects of life (your friend commented well when she said she can do ALL THINGS through Christ, implying our constant need for Him). Exploring the depths of Galatians 2:20-21 is a way for God to reveal His sufficiency for us. Also, I think that Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray, would bless you, too (I know, I suggested that on Melissa's blog, too).

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, as we grow older we begin to lose the ability to imagine. (For some reason, Dads retain this ability more than Moms :). Children are so full of imagination. Playing takes a lot of imagining. When you and Joy were little I did much better with board games...no imagination there!
Your boys will enjoy both yours and Pete's strengths because they will know how much you both love them. Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Honey, Pete here, I love to read your thoughts and hear your heart. There is no comparison for you in my book!

By the way, I think we might be out of Peanut Butter.

Anonymous said...

again, i just love reading your blogs, i love how real you are....you continue to teach and model to me, (while always showing His leading in your life) - thanks for going through things first! ;) marschall and garrett are forever blessed to have you as your mom - you are exactly what they need.....
your sis