Sunday, February 03, 2008

Being an 8th grade girl.....

I am a co-leader for the 8th grade girls small group at my church. I'm in my third year of being involved. I wish I could be more involved. I mainly just show up for our small group on Wednesday nights. Sometimes, I do question how useful am I in being there? Can I relate to them? It takes a lot for me just to get there. I have to make sure Pete's schedule will work for our boys to be taken care of. I have been picking up some girls from my church's neighborhood, for which I am usually running late. Recently, every time I leave from our time of meeting together, I am reassured by His Spirit I am suppose to be there, even if it is just showing up. I am the oldest, so I feel like I should be sharing some "prophetic word" or in some way trying to make middle school a whole heck of a lot easier for them, than it was for me. Most weeks, I just sit and listen and pray quietly as they share.
I think we have made small group a safe haven for them to share and ask for prayer. My hope is they gain perspective from Godly women who encourage them to cling to Christ in the midst of living at the age they are. I wish I could tell them life is so much better after middle school and high school. I want to tell them if they would only do things "this way" or "don't do that", it would be so much better. In the end, they are having to decide what decisions to make or not make for themselves. Our small group is a place for them to figure it out together through God's word and our guidance. Even as I struggle to to get there and wonder if I am doing any good, I am encouraged by this verse...
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." (Galatians 6:9-10)

On a side note, I must admit I am trying to stay a little more "hip" ( is it even hip to say hip anymore??) when I am around these girls. I went to three different Targets to find a pair of shoes that one of the girls were wearing last Wed. They were so cute... on her. I've said before, I usually need to see something pulled together before I can visiualize liking it for myself.
Finally, I found the shoes in a size 10 and they were too small. In the past, if a size 10 is too small they get put right back on the shelf. However, I really wanted these. I broke my own personal moral ethical code of fashion and bought the size 11. Brought them home, put them on and showed them to my dear husband, who like me, has no filter. He said, "those are different.... they make your foot look really long".
The cute pair of gathered red flats are back in the box ready to be returned to Target. Oh well, who needs to be as hip as an 8th grade girl; she probably would have not wanted to wear her own pair anymore once she saw that I copied her.

4 comments:

Monique said...

Meredith, what an interesting ministry! I cannot imagine what I would say to identify with a group of eighth grade girls. When I was their age, I liked the New Kids on the Block. If I admitted that, they would either laugh or ask who the New Kids on the Block were. Either way, not pretty.

Meredith Uber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith Uber said...

Monique,

Somehow I messed up my previous comment. Anyway, they did think it was pretty cool when i started singing "My Humps" from the Black Eyed Peas, as I was singing I was thinking these probably aren't the best words for an 8th grader to hear.....

Darcy @ m3b said...

meredith,

This actually made me laugh outloud. I do love cute shoes and fun outfits, but I look at what the girls are wearing these days... most of which I find hideous. I think I'm aging myself by admitting that. ;)

8th grade girls, huh? You're a brave women.